Regulation Current position: Regulation
Alien Travel Permit

Once you have a visa and have managed to get a TTB permit, and then you'll probably need to arrange a travel permit for much of your travel around Tibet.

Tibet is slightly more complicated when it comes to travel permits than elsewhere in China. An Alien Travel Permit (usually just called a "travel permit" is granted by the PSB for travel (independent or group) to an area that is officially closed. Travel permits were not needed for towns of Lhasa, Shigatse and Tsetang, or for places in the Lhasa region (not just Lhasa town), or for nonstop travel on the Friendship Hwy.

The Lhasa region includes such places as Ganden, Tsurphu, Nam-tso, Drigung Til and Reting, giving you quite a lot of scope. Gyantse, Sakya, Samye, the Yarlung Valley, the Everest region and western Tibet all require permits. Lhasa PSB will not issue travel permits to individuals and will direct you to a travel agency. Agencies can arrange a travel permit to almost anywhere but only if you book a Land Cruiser, driver and a guide.

Travel permits for Samye and Tsetang are almost impossible to come by without booking a tour. Permits for the Yarlung Valley were only available from Tsetang PSB and were only issued when you booked transport and a guide with Tsetang's China International Travel Service (CITS). Permits cost Y50, are valid for the duration of your visa and can list any number of destinations. They are well worth getting if you can.

You should give your agency an absolute minimum of four working days to arrange your permits, longer if military or other permits are required. If you are arranging a Land Cruiser trip from abroad the travel agency may ask for up to one month to arrange permits.

Tibet Lhasahotel | Copyright Post code:850008
Add:1 Minzhu Middle Road Lhasa, Tibet, China 
Reservation tel:(86)0891-6824509/6832221 to 2346 Fax:(86)0891-6834117/6835796